• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Each bugzilla import I try creates new custom fields, such as for 'External issue ID' and 'External issue URL', so the set of custom fields ends up with duplicate names. Can all project imports share the same bugzilla custom fields?

Each bugzilla import I try creates new custom fields, such as for 'External issue ID' and 'External issue URL', so the set of custom fields ends up with duplicate names. Can all project imports share the same bugzilla custom fields?

Gary Granger August 20, 2012

I am usig JIRA 5.1 with the latest bugzilla import plugin.

1 answer

0 votes
Gary Granger August 26, 2012

I found a hint here that the custom fields are now explicitly not created with global context:

https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JIM-667

Now I have found out how to change them to global context, and further imports of other bugzilla projects use the global custom fields rather than creating duplicates. That partially solves my problem, in that I'll be able to import more projects without creating new custom fields for each project.

However, before knowing about the global context, I imported two projects separately, and each got their own custom field. For example, there were two 'External issue URL' fields: one in use by project A and one in use by project B. I wanted a way to combine those two fields into a single custom field with global context, since it did not seem necessary to have several instances of a custom field with the same name. I have not found a way to do that.

Should there be a way to broaden a custom field to global context so that it gets combined with an existing global custom field with the same name? Or should I just accept that after importing several projects I will end up with several custom fields all named 'External issue ID'? Knowing what I know now, maybe that would have been best.

Suggest an answer