During upgrade I received a warning about Oracle collation. Is this something to worry about?

Erik Husby June 3, 2015

Doing a test upgrade of a JIRA from 6.3.8 to 6.4.5 and noticed a warning in the log file that stated:

You are using an unsupported oracle10g collation: WE8MSWIN1252. This may cause some functionality to not work.

The underlying DB is Oracle 11g.

Do I need to change the collation order?

2 answers

2 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2015

Erik,

Even if you don't face any problems right away, we strongly recommend against using JIRA with an unsupported collation. 

I'd recommend you to follow the steps at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+Oracle  to setup the database with the right collation.

wink

-- Pedro

David Grierson June 25, 2015

That page has no mention of Oracle collation requirements - if there are specific requirements these should be called out on that page.

1 vote
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2015

Hi Erik,

In case you need Oracle docs to migrate the character set, you might be interested in this one to show to your DBA. He should be aware of this documentation though, but I just wanted to confirm this.

And lastly but not least, changing the character set might implicate into a massive data manipulation. I heavily recommend to a full database backup before this step. DP export should suffice. I'm not sure if you can use the RMAN in such this case but might be worthy to try since RMAN is better than DP export in my opinion.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer