Duplicate status

Gui Ávila October 19, 2020

Hi!

I noticed that I have similar status, and even duplicates.

When we create a new project from a template, Jira automatically creates new workflows and new status, am I right? What if I already have the status "Canceled", because its used in a different project, does Jira creates a second "Canceled" status?

My status list is very big. To keep things organized, shouldn't I edit the workflow and change the similar status using the old ones that already existed?

If new status items are created for each new project, it will turn to a mess... Keeps difficult to create filters, boards, etc.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2020

Dear Gui,

are you aware of the feature “Shared Configuration”? When you create a project you can define that it shares its configuration with another project.

That way the workflows, screens, permissions, notifications etc and their corresponding schemes are reused and not created again and again. This prevents a lot of redundancy and keeps your system clean.

It might sound as if you loose flexibility with this approach but this is not the case because you are still able to define specific e.g. workflows and link them to just one special project.

Please consider to consolidate your projects to a shared configuration. This will ease your Jira administration a lot.

Kind regards,

Tobias

Gui Ávila October 19, 2020

I was not aware of that, @tokcum . Thank you very much!

But if I choose to share configurations, what happen if the new project demands a workflow scheme X and I choose to share configurations with a project that has a different workflow scheme? Or maybe with a project that does not have the proper issues?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2020

In that case the configurations of both projects would differ - or better said - start to differ again. You can only assign one scheme at a time to a project.
A workflow can be present in several schemes, for example.

The other way around this implies:
everytime to decide to change something in a "shared" scheme you will affect all projects by that (it is displayed which projects are using the scheme so you can double check).

Gui Ávila October 28, 2020

@Daniel Ebers Thanks.

But actually my question was specific to the scenario where you choose a project template (that has a specific workflow scheme) and then select the option to share configurations with a project that already exists.

The new project will have a different workflow scheme (not the one from the template), and that will impact the template purpose. Or not?

Thanks a lot.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2020

As freshly reproduced: when creating from a template new configuration is being created. For example a new workflow, a new workflow scheme, a new issue type scheme. What is taken from default for example is the Permission Scheme, Notification Scheme, Field Configuration and the Priority Scheme.

What also is not doubled (or better said created "over and over" in that meaning) are statuses, Issue Types. That means when creating a new project from a template which implies getting the Issue Type "Task" (as an example) into your new project "Task" is not duplicated - it remains "untouched" (as it already existed).

As to the last part of your question. Yes, the new project will have a "different" workflow (at least for the naming) when created from template. Inside, in fact, the templates are actually the same (you always get the same configuration but with individual naming and they are copied for each new project).

You always have two options you can go with.

Say you are about to create two new Jira projects:

1. you consider both configurations created from template as very individual (subject to individualize as business requires later on).
  2. you want to have the same configuration for both new projects

For the first case the default behaviour of Jira is suitable - you just can start editing the workflow, the Issue Type scheme and so on.

For the second case it would be better to consolidate (share) configuration between projects. This is what Tobias mentioned earlier in his post.
If you go with the second option as per your use case instead of creating new projects from templates and consolidating configuration afterwards it can be easier to start with a new project using the option "create with shared configuration" - this is the part that was mentioned earlier here (somewhat above this post).

Please let us hear from you if this helped.

Cheers,
Daniel

Gui Ávila November 3, 2020

@Daniel Ebers Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events