Duplicate notification emails from jira

Ex Employee Aaron Bockelie July 12, 2012

It appears that everyone is now receiving duplicate emails from jira. We just completed an upgrade, and I think we didn't get a chance to test email notifications. Can you please advise me on how to determine where these duplicate mails are coming from? This system has many users and we're getting a lot of complaints about this. Duplicates happen on any notification scheme or action configured in a scheme, to any recipient (individual users or groups).

4 answers

2 votes
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2012

We have a KB article on duplication notifications, however for completeness sake this question was resolved locally by Aaron (a Support ticket was raised) and was caused by a custom listener that had a bug in it.

Andrew Sparrow April 30, 2015

Could I ask what the solution was? I am having similar issues with our setup and would like to know how to resolve this?

1 vote
Davin Hoekstra March 10, 2014

We don't have any 3rd party plugin and have this issue. Some folks didn't get the email while others received 3 copies.

0 votes
Mike Monette March 31, 2014

"Third Party Plugin"

Oh well I guess that solves it then.

There are hundreds of Third Party plugins, could you be a bit more specific?

Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2014

This was actually caused by a custom listener that had a bug, I've updated my original comment. If you're getting duplicate notifications it could be caused by a significant number of different factors - for example it could happen due to a notification scheme containing assignee and a mailing list. As JIRA doesn't know which members belong to the mailing list it sends a notification for the mailing list and the assignee - as a result they receive two notifications.

Please take a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Notifications+Troubleshooting#NotificationsTroubleshooting-DuplicatenotificationemailsarebeingsentfromJIRAfor more info.

Jimmy Rossow April 5, 2017

This Confluence link comes up 503. Could it be reposted elsewhere, please?

Like Ian Minter likes this
0 votes
Julian Green (KMIS) January 27, 2013

Could I know what the solution was, as I have the same problem too.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2013

was caused by a third-party plugin.

Suggest an answer