Duplicate emails in email subscriptions

Rumceisz May 30, 2012

Hi All,

I would like to ask you for help: we meet a problem that many Jira users get duplicate emails from an email subscription. We checked that the user's email address is set only one username. And also we checked that there are no similar subscriptions which send same emails from an event.

We have no more idea what happens...:(

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for help!

Rumi

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lars Blomenkamp July 5, 2012

Had the same problem, well it was self-made: I had created a developer-jira-instance before the update from an earlier version with a backup-db of the original one. I forgot to turn-off mailing in this test-instance, so my users got mails from the production and the test-instance.

Rumceisz July 5, 2012

Thank you!

I asked the user but he didn't have own Jira instance.

Like jzchiang likes this
Brian Lalonde March 14, 2018

Why was this answer accepted? It doesn't sound like it solved the OP's problem.

Is this question related to https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-sending-multiple-emails/qaq-p/26796#M243772 ?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2012

Do you have any distribution lists or aliases? If you've checked that a user's email is unique and used only once in Jira, then it's probably that they belong to a mail group that is being copied in, or it's possible that an old email is in use (e.g. when someone gets married, it's common to redirect mails for fred.maidenname@mail.com to fred.marriedname@mail.com). I'd suspect email groups are the problem.

In most mail clients, you can examine the headers of the email to see where it came from, and who it was originally addressed to - that might help you track it down.

Note - if it's a problem with the subscription going out twice, it would be ALL users getting duplicates, so check for that at as well.

Rumceisz June 3, 2012

Hi Nic,

thank you for your suggestion!

I checked every points you mentioned.

So the user has got only 1 user account with his email address and has got no other email address.

The filter which send duplicate emails has only 1 subscriber, this user.

Rumceisz June 10, 2012

Hi,

do you think it can be an Outlook problem?

Rumceisz June 24, 2012

The user deleted the filter and created a new one with exactly the same settings. And after one week he got duplicated emails again!

What can be wrong?

0 votes
Rumceisz May 31, 2012

Have you got any idea?

Suggest an answer