Duplicate email to the same user

Shamsudeen Shaikh May 5, 2014

I recently updated email of an user, (He is project admin, developer lis of my project).

But now he recieves a duplicate of every email notification.

I checked in users list, there is no duplicate entry for the email id.

Regards,

Shams

2 answers

0 votes
Shamsudeen Shaikh May 7, 2014

Thanks Nic, for all the guidance and help.... You wont believe what solved the problem.....

JIRA Reboot... :-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2014

Is the user in any groups or lists on your email servers that are getting Jira emails?

I am pretty sure, he is not since till yesterday he was fine.... but from the moment I changed his email, he is recieving duplicates

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2014

Ok. If there's no duplication in the Jira list of users, and you're not using email groups/lists, then there's something iffy in his email account. You might need to talk to the email administrators, but I'd check his machine for unusual incoming email rules.

With all the fun I've seen with emails, I've yet to see Jira send duplicates (except when you've got two or more accounts with the same email address, which you've ruled out). It's always been the mail servers, one way or another.

One other useful check is to see if he gets one or more emails from the "test email" function under the "email servers" options

Finally, we could turn up the logging to see everything Jira is generating (but I'm certain you'll only see one outgoing mail)

Yes you are right..... I did test the outgoing mail option and he did recieve onle one copy...... So what should I check further .....

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2014

Hmm, that is interesting, that implies

1) A rule on the email client that is duplicating the emails as they come in, based on something like "they have [JIRA] in the subject"

2) You have missed an email distribution list that the user is on

The next step is a bit of a faff, but there's a few things to look at. It depends on what mail system you're using as to how easy it is, but most clients will let you examine the header of the emails. That can be very useful - emails have effectively unique IDs, so if the duplicates have the same id, you know it's a rule duplicating it in the mailbox. You can use the IDs to cross check the email server logs, to see if it really did get two emails from Jira.

I forgot earlier - you've checked for two jira users with the same email address, but could your user be getting email sent to two different Jira users, with different email addresses, and your mail server set up to alias one to the other? (For example, an old client had nic @ xx.com, nbrough @ xx.com, broughn2 @ xx.com, and another 15. All me, all one email box)

On the jira side, try enabling the outgoing mail log in Admin -> System -> Troubleshooting -> Logging nad profiling. Turn it on, ensure debugging is on, wait for a dupe, turn it off (it can load the server, so I really do mean turn it off!), then read the log to see if Jira sent two to the same user.

Thanks a lot Nic,

One more thing user just observed was he was recieving duplicates only for issues in which he was a watcher.

Being the project admin he had been in the watchers list for most of the issues, so we thought its for every issue....

Please let me know if this hints you something......

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2014

Actually, that really is screaming "two accounts in Jira" (And most likey, with two different email addresses and aliases to land them in the same inbox).

Seriously, check the email headers for "to" REALLY carefully (Actually read the physical email address, not the rubbish things like outlook obscure it with) and check the watcher and other-reasons-for-getting-the-update

Suggest an answer