Dragging Epic to Sprint Not Working

Matt Wilson August 19, 2022

I'm not able to drag an epic over to a sprint in the backlog. I made a gif below that shows the issue and some of the settings I've tried changing. A similar issue was raised and it was advised to clear your cache, however that did not work.

SprintIssue.gif

3 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2022

Hi @Matt Wilson  Welcome to Atlassian Community!

An Epic is not typically assigned to a sprint, you can assign the child issue of an EPIC to Sprint like Story,Bug,Feature etc.. Kindly check Backlog section of your scrum board and move issues from Backlog to Sprint. 

Document how to use EPIC :- https://www.atlassian.com/agile/tutorials/epics

Epic to Sprint.PNG

Thanks

V Y

Matt Wilson August 20, 2022

Thank you!

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2022

You’re Welcome 😊

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2022

Hello @Matt Wilson 

Welcome to the community.

The functionality that you are observing is correct. You cannot drag an Epic in the Epic Panel into a Sprint.

As @Vikrant Yadav said, Epics are not typically assigned to sprints. Typically, the duration of an Epic is much longer than a single sprint. What problem are you trying to solve by adding an Epic to a sprint?

0 votes
GB August 25, 2022

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

i have the same Problem. In my case the duration of my Epics is not longer than a single sprint. So it would be great if I could do sprint planning with my epics. Is it possible to configure something in Jira so that I can include an epic in a sprint or backlog?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

Hello @GB 

Welcome to the community.

I have not found a method with a Scrum board that would result in showing the Epics in the list of issues in the Backlog (rather than in the Epic panel) or to assign the Epics to Sprints in the Backlog.

You can set the Sprint field in an Epic directly, and it will then display in the Board view (still in the Backlog shows only in the Epics pane) in a Company Managed project. Doing this in a Team Managed project does not show the Epic on the board.

However, in my opinion, this is not a good practice even if the Epic duration is less than the duration on your sprint. The Epic should be comprised of child issues that are estimated, with those estimates used to track sprint commitments, burndowns, and velocities. If you want to see how Epics align to sprints, you might want to look at the Roadmap functionality instead.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events