Done issues aren't shown as crossed out

Margarita Molchanova December 11, 2017

The issues with status "Done" and value "Done" aren't showing up on the board as crossed out. Any ideas what is wrong?

4 answers

2 votes
Scott Silvester October 6, 2021

I know this thread is old but just adding a URL that steps through the process of resolving this.

Best practices on using the "Resolution" field | Atlassian Cloud | Atlassian Documentation

2 votes
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Hi Margarita,

The issue gets crossed out when a resolution is set for that issue (issue's 'Resolution' field is not empty). That said can you make sure that your issues with "Done" status have a resolution?

Cheers.

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for help. How would I check that?

- Rita

The issues are in 'Done" column and the "Done" column transition value configured as done. I don't know what is wrong still

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Try this JQL:

status = "Done" and resolution is empty

This will return a list of issues with the "Done" status but no resolution set.

Ivan,

The issues that are labeled as Done, have resolution as unresolved

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

"labelled as done" is irrelevant to the strike-out function.

An issue's display will take on the strike-out (in many places) when the resolution is set to a value.  When the resolution says "unresolved", it is a display for us telling us "the field is empty", and it won't get struck out.

An issue's status, what column it is in on a board, whatever your "labelled as done" means, and so-on do not matter.  The strike out happens when the resolution is filled.

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2017

Hi Margarita,

Now that you you know what issues have the status "Done" and no resolution ("unresolved" means that no resolution is set) all you need to do is set a resolution to strike these issues out on your board. 

Margarita Molchanova December 12, 2017

ok, but how :))))

Like Elizabeth Pfotzer likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

You need to move the issues through a transition that sets the resolution (either with a post-function, or by having a screen with the resolution on it)

A typical way to do that is to temporarily add a transition back to the current status to your workflow.  You could also edit it into the issues, if you are *very* careful to only try this when you know your users won't be active.

Like Hatem Souabni likes this
Margarita Molchanova December 12, 2017

I set the post function resolution to Done. It didn't help. the issues are in the Done' column and followed the transition as designed in the workflow but the resolution is still unresolved.

Like Y_M_M_ likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2017

Have you pushed the issues through it?

Bear in mind the strike out only appears in some places too, prmimarily where the "done" type status can't be assumed.

0 votes
Gayathri B August 19, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Ivan Tovbin I moved "Done" issues to another board and found that I had not included the "Resolution" field in any of them. 

So I changed the scheme, and ensured that "Resolution" field is added to the field configuration scheme.

After doing this, I attempted a bulk edit, but the edit screen did not show me the Resolution field, so that I could change it from "Unresolved" to "Resolved'.

Is there any other way that I can mark them as "Resolved" without manual intervention? I have 300 odd tickets to update :| 

TIA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2021

You were not offered the resolution on bulk edit because it is not on the edit screen.   This is correct - you should never put it on an edit screen (if you do, all edited issues become resolved, which breaks everything)

But, as a temporary measure to fix up some data, you could add it, bulk edit, then remove it before anyone trashes your data with it.

0 votes
Margarita Molchanova December 14, 2017

Thank you everyone for your help!

I contacted attlassian and below solved the issue:

"In your situation, I would recommend performing a Bulk Edit of the Resolution field for all of your tickets in the “Done” Status. You can perform that bulk edit to set the Resolution field from “Unresolved” to “Done”."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

That's what I was getting at with

"You could also edit it into the issues, if you are *very* careful to only try this when you know your users won't be active."

The problem with that approach is that you have to put the resolution on the "edit" screen.  But you must never put the resolution on the edit screen because it will cause all edits to resolve your issues.  So you have to put it on-screen temporarily, while none of your users are active.

Margarita Molchanova December 14, 2017

Thank you, Nic, I just wasn't sure on how exactly to do it, but now it makes it all clear.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

Yes, sorry, I should have expanded on that before!

Suggest an answer