Does the scrum master input everything? Wondering what the developers and Product Manager change in Jira.

brianhovis April 20, 2016

I'm new to JIRA and was wondering about real life use of the software.  I understand from a Scrum Master point of view of how everything is inputted but do Developers come along and modify items?  What I've found in the past is I don't know all aspects of a technical issue and the Developer can let me know when that is complete.  Do they mark it as complete or do they modify the task to let me know.

Or is this tool mainly used on the various calls we have and the Scrum Master tracks and changes everything in JIRA?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

Usually, the Scrum Master will have a "Project Administrator" role that will allow them to do anything on a JIRA issue (open, create, transition, schedule, edit, close). The Developers will be in a role that has limited ability (they can only transition issues from "In Progress" to "Ready For QA" or "Ready for Release"). During this issue transitions, you can set mandatory fields (screens) to be updated by the developer before they are allowed to transition the issue to another status. E.g., when the developer is done with a Task, they put it to In Progress to Close, they must fill out the "Validation Steps" or "Logged Work" values. So both roles have responsibilities to do in JIRA. "Editing" issues directly can be your setup, but I would suggest using workflow transitions to fill out issue details.

Suggest an answer