Does the HipChat Server license have to be the same as the JIRA license?

Kathleen Buckley March 18, 2015

I currently have a 2000 user license for JIRA version 6x and am considering purchasing HipChat Server.  Less than 25 users will be using HipChat so I would like to purchase the 25 user HipChat Service license.  If I was purchasing a plugin, I would have to match my JIRA license (2000 users).  

My question is - can I purchase the 25 user license for HipChat Server or do I have to purchase the 2000 user license since it will be integrated with our 2000 user JIRA application?  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
CruzinUSA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2015

A 25 user Hipchat server license will work just fine with your 2000 user JIRA Server License. The only time that license numbers should play a role is when the license is applied within the same application.

Kathleen Buckley March 19, 2015

Thanks.

Andrew Milley September 29, 2015

For clarity, I DO want to integrate HipChat Server with my 2000 user licence JIRA installation through the HipChat for JIRA.and/or JIRA for HipChat plugins. Will I require a 2000 user HipChat Server licence in this case?

Kathleen Buckley October 6, 2015

Yes, that is what I am asking. I edited my original question above. I wrote "it will be integrated without" instead of "with our". Sorry about that. We built a HipChat stand-alone test server and plan to integrate it with our existing JIRA (2000 user) application. I'm assuming it will be integrated via the HipChat plugins. We haven't gotten that far yet with the setup/configuration.

Andrew Milley October 8, 2015

I contacted HIpChat support to be crisp on the fact that if the two products are actually integrated through plugins (either/both directions) you still don't have to match user levels. And I'm told you do NOT have to match user levels in this case either. I still have an outstanding question with support on what the user experience would be for a JIRA user in this case who is not a HipChat user... will they see no evidence that HipChat even exists... or will they see it but not be able to use it. I'll post here what I hear back if useful.

Melinda Atkinson November 26, 2015

Hi Andrew -- just found this thread and have similar questions. Did you get a response to your enquiry about what a JIRA user will see with regards to HipChat if they are not licensed for HipChat? Thanks.

Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2017

Hi All, 

Jira-only users will see evidence that Hipchat exists via the HipChat discussions panel in the bottom right corner of the default issue screen, see screenshot: Hipchat_discussions.png

The panel will always be visible whether the Jira to Hipchat integration is setup or not. 

The content of the panel will be different in either case. 

Note: The screen-shot above is from Jira 6.4.14

I hope this helps. 

Suggest an answer