Does moving one item from one container to another free the old container key id?

Rebeca Salgado November 29, 2019

Trying to understand if when I move an item from one container to another, if the original key id will actually become available under the old container. 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2019

What do you mean by "container"?

I am guessing you mean "Jira project", in which case, moving an issue from one project to another will change the issue key.  It has to - the issue key must be unique, so the numeric part of it almost always has to change to the next free number in that project, and the issue key is made up of the current project key and that number.

Rebeca Salgado December 2, 2019

Thanks Nic.  Yes, container meaning project.  I know the item will transfer but let me give example:

TLBLUE-100 is moving to TLRED

So when TLBLUE-100 moved to TLRED-125, does TLBUE-100 become an available key under TLBLUE?  Or because that key was use once, it will never be available again? 

My situation is that I ended with a project with many stories that can be reused and I was thinking I can better reuse them across other projects vs. a single one.  I wanted to see if one of the benefits was also to keep the original project's (for example above, TLBLUE) inventory true to the actual items used vs. counting the ones that moved to the other project.

C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2019

No, TLBLUE-100 will not be available for use. Jira doesn't reuse keys even if you move or delete the issue.

Suggest an answer