Does @mention to outsider overrule the restriction on a comment?

Sandra Meessen February 21, 2019

Hi, When I restrict a comment to a specific group of users with access to the project, but I @mention a user outside that group in the comment. Does that user than get an email notification anyway (based on this blog https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/using-watchers-and-mentions-effectively?_ga=2.91213466.1208281128.1550472966-861327740.1548150608)?

So does the @mention overrule the restriction on the comment?

Thank you and kind regards, Sandra

2 answers

1 vote
Nour Durra February 21, 2019

hi @Sandra Meessen 

Nop they cannot get a notification, final answer, I just did test this scenario :) you cannot even find them in the @mention list if they don't have permission to view this project

Sandra Meessen February 21, 2019

Hi Nour, and I tested the same scenario and my tagged user did get a notification. You say "if they don't have view permission to this project".

• My tagged user does have view permission to the project
  • .....is member of the project role "Users".
  • I restrict the comment to be visible only to project role "Servicedesk".
  • The tagged user can be selected to tag in the comment ánd does receive a notification. 

Does this proof that the @mention notification overrules the restriction of the comment?

Like Tim Schmelter likes this
Nour Durra February 22, 2019

Hi @Sandra Meessen , since the user is part of the Users role, they will get a notification and you will be able to see them in the project, you can check the Permission scheme to see what the Users role can and cannot do.

In my test, I limited the Permission scheme to only certain users in roles, and the specific user was not included in any of them.

I hope this clears up this

Tim Schmelter July 21, 2020

"Nop they cannot get a notification, final answer"
It's stilll not clear if users which can see the project but not the comment, can see the comment body(for example in e-mail) if they are tagged. It's important when you want to discuss things internally which the customer should not see.
Another one has commented on this question who said yes, they will see it,

If it's true that the user which should not see the comment will get a notification with the comment body, this is a serious bug which should be fixed as soon as possible'. 

Like David Sumlin likes this
0 votes
David Sumlin December 2, 2019

Yes, they will get a "You were mentioned" notification, with the comment body, even though they won't be able to see the comment on the issue.

Suggest an answer