Does linking to other project's epics affect performance on Jira server 7.6

John Hardy November 29, 2018

I've just started at a new company and  am currently just a user (i.e. no admin responsibility or rights).  Its a  large company and has ~12K+ users. I've been a Jira admin in a previous job where we used Jira Cloud and a much smaller user base (~600). At my new job we're using Jira server 7.6 and I'm experiencing really slow performance, I'm sure there are a myriad of potential reasons for this but one of the things I noticed is that my entire area (approx. 30 sprint teams) all use a single master Management Reporting" project that is composed only of Epics. i.e. the "management reporting" Jira project is comprised of about 200+ epics that are all delivered by the sprint teams in their own Jira team projects. For example, 5 of the epics in the "Management Reporting" (MR) project are being delivered by the "platform remediation" (PM) project team.  Each one of the 100 stories in the PM project has a link to an epic in the (MR) project. This pattern is repeated across the other 30 team's Jira projects.

What I want to know is if this structure leads to excessive indexing and performance degradation or is it a perfectly normal and supportable use case?

Thanks in advance.

J

1 answer

0 votes
Vinu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2018

Hi @John Hardy

Now this is a very big topic that heads to performance tuning. But putting it in a way, links will not be affecting your performance as far as I know.

But taking into account the complex interlinks, I suspect the project boards may be experiencing a huge performance degradation. We need to know exactly where, when an any patterns of your performance issues.

Also 7.6 is a very stable version with lots of improvements over performance probelms (though there are a few that needs tweaking).

If you could let us know the hardware and the degradation patterns, we will be able to guide you effectively.

Also please go through these documents and it might ring a bell on what might be the issue.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-applications-performance-tuning-229179856.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshooting-performance-problems-336169888.html

Suggest an answer