Does jira/bitbucket use client side java? Why does jira require that I have java installed?

gordiemackenzie July 5, 2016

Does jira/bitbucket use client side java? Why does jira require that I have java installed?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2016

No, they don't require it.  JIRA does have a "screenshot" application that relies on Java, but it is usable without it and you can still attach files without it

gordiemackenzie July 5, 2016

Why does it get you to install JRE when accessing JIRA for the first time?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2016

It doesn't.

Well, none of my installations do it.  I go to JIRA in a browser, no JRE installed on a machine, it works.  What, exactly, are you doing here?

Tukaram Bhukya September 14, 2016

To access JIRA from client machine , do we need to install java library or java on client machine?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2016

No.  You need a browser, but not java. 

Some older versions do ask for java, if you want to use the "screenshot" function, but that's the only thing you need an install for.

Tukaram Bhukya September 14, 2016

I saw below requirement in Atlassian doc

Client-side requirements:

BrowserEnable your browser to execute JavaScript from your JIRA applications to access their full functionality.

Nic Brough: could you explain , where we have to make this change exactly?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2016

Er, javascript is a totally different thing to java.

You'll need to read your browser's manual to find out.  I don't know what you're using.  Most browsers default to having it enabled, but a lot of security conscious people block it for good reasons, only allowing it when it's genuinely needed.

Suggest an answer