Does hiding projects (aka online archiving) improve Jira performance at all?

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2012

Hi,

I was curious -- does hiding projects with many issues improve Jira performace at all? We have a couple hundred thousand issues, but most of them are old, and not accessed often. I was thinking about just moving them to archive projects, and hiding the projects.

Anyone have experience with performance issues regarding this? Seems like I'd get some small wins, but wasn't sure if it would improve indexing speeds, or other jira performance bottlenecks.

Tips appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2012

It does improve performance, especially with searching and reporting. Also with dashboards, browsing projects etc because users will see less.

It is surely going to improve and hence recommended if it is an option.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2012

Hi, adding to Jobin's answer that this will help with performance in places where you are able to lookup lists of projects and if you search for anything that *might* includes those issues.

Also, I don't think this will help with indexing though - if you run a full reindex, it will reindex all the issues in the system. Database tuning and more memory probably helps here instead.

Suggest an answer