It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Does hiding projects (aka online archiving) improve Jira performance at all?

Bryan Karsh Oct 02, 2012

Hi,

I was curious -- does hiding projects with many issues improve Jira performace at all? We have a couple hundred thousand issues, but most of them are old, and not accessed often. I was thinking about just moving them to archive projects, and hiding the projects.

Anyone have experience with performance issues regarding this? Seems like I'd get some small wins, but wasn't sure if it would improve indexing speeds, or other jira performance bottlenecks.

Tips appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group] Community Leader Oct 02, 2012

It does improve performance, especially with searching and reporting. Also with dashboards, browsing projects etc because users will see less.

It is surely going to improve and hence recommended if it is an option.

0 votes
Harry Chan Oct 03, 2012

Hi, adding to Jobin's answer that this will help with performance in places where you are able to lookup lists of projects and if you search for anything that *might* includes those issues.

Also, I don't think this will help with indexing though - if you run a full reindex, it will reindex all the issues in the system. Database tuning and more memory probably helps here instead.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Try Jira Cloud for Outlook: Organize your work without leaving your inbox

Hi Atlassian community, My name is Max and I work on the product integration team at Atlassian. I am pleased to announce the early access program for the Jira Cloud add-in for Outlook. This add-in...

2,684 views 6 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you