Does creating project using shared configuration considers the contexts from the custom field?

Rashmi Belur April 26, 2017

I have a project XYZ which is under custom field context. When I create a new project ABC  using shared configuration of Project XYZ, does the ABC gets copied into the custom field context?

I am using jira 7.2.7

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2017

Hi,

The shared configuration consists of the configuration schemes. As the custom field context is not part of a scheme that you associate with a project, this is not automatically adjusted.

There are use cases where it might seem as if the context is taken into account. Suppose you show the custom field on issue type Story (e.g. something you might do for Story Points) across all projects and create a new project from an issue type scheme with Story in it, you will see Story Points on the Story issue type in the new project.

In your example, where you explicitly limit the context to specific projects, you will need to update the custom field context to expose the custom field on your new project.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2017

That depends on how you've configured the contexts for that field. If there is a default context for the field, the new project will use that unless you configure the project to look at a different context (using an existing one or creating a new one).

If there is no default context for a custom field, the custom field will not appear in a project until you configure a context for the field that applies to the new project.

Suggest an answer