Does closing a sprint will clear the 'Sprint' field for open issues?

Shirley Jhirad January 16, 2017

Hi All,

Once completing a sprint, any open issues that are assigned to the sprint, auto moves to the next sprint or the backlog.

In JIRA 7, i see that this procedure does not clear the Sprint field from the issue itself, and if i query on the sprint, i see the list of open issues as part of it, althogh it is now part of the backlog or the next sprint.

I guess that the logic is that even though the sprint is closed and issues are removed from it, i would like to easily see which issues were committed and incomplete in the closed sprint.

Do i understand correctly? Would like to get clarifications on this,

Thanks

Shirley

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2017

You understand it correctly - it's retaining the sprint data from previous sprints because they're needed in order to do the numbers and report on the committed/incomplete.

0 votes
Mike Silva April 12, 2017

Was this ALWAYS the case?  I feel like it wasn't always this way.  
This is  forcing me to re-think Filters & Dashboards that I use to track based on Sprint, because the Sprint field will often have multiple values even if it was properly moved.  

I do see the following in the Sprint Report in the Agile Board:  

• Manually removing an issue out of a sprint increments the "Issues Removed from Sprint" count
  • Completing a Sprint and allowing the auto-move to occur increments the "Issues Not Completed" count.

My JIRA system info:

• JIRA: v7.1.7
  • JIRA Software configuration: Feature Parallel Sprints turned on. (Not sure if this has impact).
Mike Silva April 12, 2017

...and actually, even if you remove the completed sprint from the JIRA issue, it is STILL retained in the "Issues Not Completed this Sprint" so I don't think this really makes sense...

Suggest an answer