Does changing workflow scheme send out [mass] e-mail notifications on every issue?

Robert de Castro September 16, 2014

I'm figuring the answer is no, but just for the sake of confirmation....

I'm planning on changing the workflow scheme for a project with about 8k issues.  In our test environment, there was a screen that had me confirm the (new) status of issues marked as "open", "closed", "on hold", etc as they relate to the new workflow scheme.

In the event that an issue detects a change, are e-mails sent out about every single one?

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2014

No, you're safe.  JIRA's emails on changes are triggered by "edit", transitions, "comment" and so-on.  Actions applied to issues.  All of these are considered proper full changes to an issue.

Changing the workflow scheme is a structural or configuration thing and hence does not fire any events.  It's written into the history just so us humans don't go "huh, how did that issue go through a status that isn't in the workflow?" when looking at a history, but it's not actually considered an issue change!

Robert de Castro September 17, 2014

Thank you for the sanity check!

Karen Clark February 17, 2016

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]!

MadelineBarr April 6, 2020

Great question and answer. 

This was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

Suggest an answer