Does changing a JIRA workflow affect Greenhopper workflows?

John Van Stry July 16, 2013

Asked this yesterday, but it disappeared.

I'm trying to bring all of the workflows into line here. I want to change the JIRA workflow on a major agile project. The Greenhopper workflow for agile is fine, but I had to create a new workflow for defect tracking from scratch (can't figure out how the copy command works, needs clearer docs).

so, if I switch the workflow from the existing one to the new one, will that affect the greenhopper workflow? They appear to be completely unrelated, but I want to be sure before I go make the changes.

Thanks,

-John

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2013

It could all change - there's no such thing as a "greenhopper workflow", it's Greenhopper using the Jira workflow in the background. Even the Greenhopper "simplified workflow" is simply a Jira workflow generated by Greenhopper, so if you change the workflow, you'll affect everything.

Look at the workflow scheme for the project. That tells you what workflow each issue type will use. IF you go in that way, you'll always know what you're editing.

The copy workflow function is pretty clear - click "copy", it creates a copy with a new name. You can edit that. Include it in the workflow scheme mentioned above.

John Van Stry July 16, 2013

I have clicked on that. It brings me back to the original non-editable workflow. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it isn't at all clear.

Also the greenhopped four state agile workflow is in no way related to the Jira defect workflow that I can see. doesn't even share state names. So I have no idea how they are related. It doesn't look like they are, so if they are, where do you make the changes?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2013

I think it's important to say this again - there is NO greenhopper workflow. It does not exist as a separate entity. Greenhopper uses the Jira workflow you see in Admin.

The "simplified workflow" in Greenhopper is not separate, it creates a new Jira workflow with some odd settings when you swap a project over to it.

Can you look at the project settings in Jira again. What is the "workflow scheme"? Can you descend into the workflow scheme and look at what workflows it uses for the various issue types?

Suggest an answer