Does basic HTTP-Authentication work for Google Apps bound JIRA on Demand instances?

Peter Raganitsch August 10, 2012

Long title, short question.

I've tried to get some explanations and answers from the documentation and API, also did some CURL-Tests, but none seemed to work.

I'm running JIRA onDemand coupled with Google Apps, so the Authentication works via Google Apps.

When using the REST API to access JIRA, how do I have to authenticate? Does basic HTTP Authentication work there? When yes, which username/password is provided? That one from my Google-User?

Or do I have to create a special User in JIRA for that?

Thanks in advance for every pointer into the right direction.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2012

Yes, it does work, but it does not use your Google credentials. When you first signed in to your OnDemand instance via Google Apps, you would have been prompted to create an 'OnDemand password' to authenticate with services like Subversion, WebDAV, the API, private RSS feeds, etc.

If you don't recall this password, you can have your administrator set your password to something known (which they can do via OnDemand's user management page). You can then set the password to whatever you want from your profile page. There are some more details here.

Peter Raganitsch August 12, 2012

thanks for that information.

Seems i have to digg deeper, my example still doesn't work.

When trying to get an issue via REST i get an error:

curl -D -u emailaddress:password -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://mysubdomain.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/issue/TKT-1

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: emailaddress:password; nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2012

A couple of things:

1. You need to append "?os_authType=basic" to your URL to prompt JIRA to ask for HTTP basic authentication.
  2. I believe you need to supply a filename to "-D"

Example (with -D option omitted):

curl -u 'myuser:mypass' -X GET -H 'Content-Type: application/json' 'https://test.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/issue/TEST-1?os_authType=basic'
Peter Raganitsch August 12, 2012

Thats it, it works now!

Amazing, thanks for that perfect support!

Suggest an answer