Does anyone run JIRA/Confluence Data Center in Azure? Any common issues to be aware of?

Cory Barton November 1, 2016

We're about to look into hosting an enterprise businesses clustered instance of JIRA and Confluence (Data Center) in Azure, but can't find much information in Atlassian's documentation, nor about the web on common issues and things to consider.

Is it just that no body has done this yet? Or has anyone hit such issues and roadblocks that it's recommended not to?

5 answers

1 vote
John Gill May 30, 2019

Wouldn't it be cool, after 3 years, if one Atlassian person would respond to something as major as a DC question, a product that is still fairly new, and relatively less documented online. 

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2019

Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd chime in here with my two cents.  We looked at both DC and Cloud, our company has data residency concerns which makes Cloud not an option for us (we are in Canada).

As we are in the process of setting up DC, we decided to investigate using Azure.  We started with the Jira Data Center template that exists in the Azure Marketplace.

I'd recommend looking at that as a starting point for a POC, we are following some of the architecture used such as using a VM Scale Set for the Jira node clusters.

We switched out using a jumpbox and an app gateway with an azure load balancer, and since we are a windows shop we changed the OS used from Ubuntu Server to Windows Server 2016 (mainly because our IT team wasn't interested in supporting Ubuntu boxes).

We aren't 100% setup yet but this is the route we are taking.  I hope some of these things can help you out if it's still relevant for you.

-James

0 votes
Raj February 11, 2019

Hi Cory/ Rahul/ John,

Did any of you get a  chance to work with Jira/Confluence Data center on Azure ? Any Recommendations?

Thank you.

John Gill May 30, 2019

Sorry for the delay. The one option we came up with is if you use the docker option this is fairly straight forward. But we decided to give up on DC and go cloud... cause that's better? 

0 votes
John Gill September 1, 2017

Anyone have any good answers to this yet? 

My company is trying to look into this now. 

0 votes
Rahul Patil February 17, 2017

Hello Cory,

Did you get a response to your question?
We are looking into the same possibility and wanted to find out more about it.

Thanks
Rahul 

Suggest an answer