Does anyone know if the Jira Cloud user limit of 2000 is applicable to an AWS cloud environment?

Steven Ficalora November 22, 2017

We have multiple instances of Jira and are looking to collapse these into one corporate instance, preferable on the cloud, however the user limit of 2000 is too small for our organization.  We need to know if this limit is the same for running an Atlassian cloud license on the AWS cloud as well, or will we be forced to create this solution in-house with the Atlassian Data Center license? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2017

Hi Steven,

The 2000 user limit applies to the Jira Cloud product.  It does not apply to the Jira Server product.   If you have Jira installed on AWS or your own servers, you're running Jira Server, not Jira Cloud.   I can understand the confusion here since AWS is providing a Cloud platform for your Jira instance, but this is not the same as the Atlassian provided Jira Cloud product itself.

With Atlassian's Jira Cloud instances, there are limits as to the amount of physical and virtual resources that can be allocated to each Jira Cloud instance.  Jira Server does not have these same limitations.

I would recommend checking out the Jira Sizing Guide, just as a good means to understand what kind of resources you will likely need depending on the size of your environment, number of concurrent users, etc.  

If you have more than 1000 concurrent users, you are probably going to want to check out the blog post on Server vs. Data Center – What’s right for you?.   We find that most large Jira instance of that size or larger really want to focus on uptime and reliability for Jira, in which case Data Center is probably going something worth considering.

I hope this helps.
Andy

Steven Ficalora December 8, 2017

Thanks very much Andrew.  Just to be clear, we can run Jira server or Data Center, either on-site or on an AWS cloud and not be subjected to a 2,000 user limitation, as this is only restricted to the Atlassian-hosted cloud offering, correct? 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2017

That's right.

0 votes
lauren
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2018

Hi @Steven Ficalora, you can now add up to 5,000 users to your Jira or Confluence Cloud site. 

More information on this Community article I wrote: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/New-5k-User-Limit-and-Other-Cloud-Updates/ba-p/892001

Suggest an answer