Does anyone know how to import projects into Jira from Azure?

Jonathan Rogers October 30, 2019

I just need to transfer the current projects I am tracking in Azure over into Jira and I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2019

Hi Jonathan,

can you elaborate? You mention Azure, are you saying you currently have a Server instance of Jira stood up in Azure and you are looking to migrate to Atlassian's On Demand cloud solution? If so you may find this site of interest - Cloud Migration Center 

Jonathan Rogers October 30, 2019

I am trying to export all of my issue/tickets/user stories (whatever you want to call them). All the dialog history,descriptions, progress, assignments,attachments, etc...  and import them over into Jira.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2019

but what application are you exporting from? what is currently running in Azure that you are migrating away from. If you can figure out how to export all of the info you need from Azure into a CSV then you can use it to import into your Jira Cloud instance. See this article - creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer 

Jonathan Rogers October 31, 2019

I don't see an application to export from in Azure. I see a web based query in Azure that I can pull info from but that is about it. I saw the CSV importer but that doesn't get me my comment history and attachments out of Azure. I guess my main issue is getting information out of Azure in order to migrate it over to Jira.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

Agree that exporting the data is the first step. Keep in mind that Azure is just an IaaS (bunch of servers where VMs are setup to run applications). In an of itself Azure is not an application for storing issues. It may be that someone in your company has created a home-grown solution sitting atop an SQL DB. I would check with your IT group about having them assist w/ the export. Should be pretty straightforward using SQL query.

Suggest an answer