Does a Workflow exist similar to the Jira Default but with an added Verify state?

Deleted user January 15, 2018

Using Jira 7.4.1

Like the title says, we are looking for a Workflow that is similar to the Jira Default, but has an extra state of Verify. Resolve could transition to Verify, and Verify would either transition to Closed or back to InProgress if a problem was found during verification. I browsed around a bit, but did not find anything, which is surprising as I would think this would be a fairly common workflow.

I have tried changing Workflows myself, but found that to be a little daunting. Would prefer to find an out-of-the-box solution.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2018

The "out of the box solution" is to allow you to modify the workflows to fit your process.  Adding a new status to a workflow is not that hard, or scary, and even if you do get it wrong, it's easy to fix as well.

We don't see many published workflows in the marketplace or community because generalised ones are almost always going to be modified to fit an installations actual processes.  When we do see them, they're usually provided as "starting points for you to modify to match your own processes".

I'd suggest trying to edit your own again.  You're very clear on what you need from a workflow variant, and you don't seem to be trying to do anything that would require complex config.  I'd try it in a test system, run some issues through it and see how you get on.  I know the editors look daunting at times, but look at the individual options separately.  If you don't know what they might do, then you don't need to use them!

Deleted user January 15, 2018

Thanks for your comment, Nic.  To clarify my previous attempt at messing with Workflows, I was actually trying to create a new Workflow from scratch. I thought I had it working, the states changed properly, but when we went to production it came to my attention I had missed some things. I had only hooked up the boxes and arrows in the editor, not knowing that I needed to also add actions (I think that's what they were called)  to do things like make state transitions get written to history. I assumed those things would happen automatically. When I started digging around at that level of the Workflow config, I was completely lost. At that point I conferred with the software manager and asked if we wanted to pursue fixing what I had done, or just accept the Jira default workflow as 'good enough'. He decided on the latter at the time, but now a request has been made to add the Verified state, and we are where we are. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events