Does Zephyr for JIRA support shared test steps?

JulioV August 19, 2013

Is there an ability to link to shared test cases/steps, for example:

If we have a test case for the JIRA product called "Create an Issue" and the first steps of that test case is to login, for which we have a test case already created with the login steps called "JIRA login", can you reference that shared login test case in other test cases so that when the login steps change, they are only needed to be changed in one place?

If this feature is not available, can it be added as a new feature request?

Thanks!

12 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

Hi Julio,

This isn't currenlty supported in Zephyr for JIRA. I will add it to the feature request list, but however I want to caution you that this will be lower on the feature request list than others due to the complexity of the implimentation.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Deleted user October 24, 2014

Is there any update on this Feature Request? This is a feature that would help us out to be able to section out things so we didn't have to either change large numbers of test cases, or know that those test cases had bad information.

Thanks,

Jason Rhoads

Noel Hempton-Thomas November 6, 2014

This would be a nice feature to have... Can you recommend any work arounds please?

Deleted user November 6, 2014

The only way we have been able to work around this is by cloning the test cases. This is not ideal because it causes you to know that the test cases will become out of date. They could create a Shared Step section to hold the shared steps (like Microsoft Test Manager), or they could link steps to other test cases because you will have to run those basic steps at some point in regression. Either way would give nice functionality.

Noel Hempton-Thomas November 6, 2014

Those are the lines i was thinking along thanks Jason. Writing small test cases and cloning/using those. and again the MTM shared step functionality would be a definite fix. It appears Zephyr handles test steps only within test cases and not as seperate items like MTM does. Thanks for your response Jason.

ilan_slonim November 10, 2016

any news on that? i found myself in a strong need of that feature..thanks!

Arun Ravindran November 10, 2016

Hi Ilan

Thanks for your interest in Zephyr.

Can you share with us the use case or how important is this feature for you so that we can forward it to our product management team?

Also let us know your official email id as we need it while raising a feature request

Thanks

ZephyrSupport

ilan_slonim November 12, 2016

So my use case is the following:, have a taste test which is the same action but for several tests as such as uploading the files to your server and there are several results which I expect from that action but they are different features so I don't want them to be in different steps in the same test case because if one test if fails theoretically you need to stop the test they are different features which implemented in the way that they do not rely on each other such as a long message or a file created by that uploaded file so each of them is a different test for different future but the first action is the same the first step and if I change that first step the first feature and I want them all to change accordingly. I would like to be able to use one test step more as sort of a template which I can point to and they will be used when the test is executed. This feature existed in qc alm and seemed to be very efficient and also correct from the testing methodology point of view.

katherine_abbott February 21, 2017

Are there any updates? My team also needs or would very much like this feature.

isusieQ May 1, 2017

I am following this as well as this is an important feature for us as we move from MTM to Zephyr for Jira.

Ashley_Lamplough June 24, 2019

To have a test case database and not allow for calling tests is very terrible.  I doubt it takes that much work to correct this issue. 

0 votes
Christina Allen April 23, 2021

Has this been implemented yet?

0 votes
vafa_abadi April 28, 2020

any updates on this one? I need a feature offering pre-written/pre-exesting test steps to be added to the new test test cases saving the Zephyr users from writing repetitive test steps all the time? 

0 votes
Jonas Jørgensen February 12, 2020

I urgently need this feature as well. I'm coming from Quality Center and MS Test Manager that have had this feature for a looong time. What are you waiting for?

0 votes
Stephanie Carder October 9, 2019

There are a lot of people that would like this functionality that is available through other Jira test case management plug-ins. Why this has not been added to Zephyr is beyond me. Listen to your users and/or potential users!

0 votes
Valeriu Jecov August 28, 2019

Still no updates?! This thread started back in 2013 - 6 years later = same old status! Not good.

0 votes
theonesmitty August 12, 2019

This is an enormous product gap.  Copy test steps is only 10% of the battle.  If I have 100 tests and I need to change the way someone logs in to a website, for example, then i have to go to 100 tests and update them manually.  Sorry that's a show stopper for out team.  

Valeriu Jecov August 28, 2019

Totally agree!

ALM had some similar functionality (the old Quality Centre) - while writing a test you could go and select a pre-existing step from another test case and add it into the actual test case - this way we would not have to write duplicated steps hundreds of times (e.g. Login)

vafa_abadi April 28, 2020

@Valeriu Jecov Hi, do oyu know if such a feature has been added to Zephyr or not?

the tema that I am providing Zephyr to asked to come up with library of steps or sharing pre-exesting steps but i cannot find anything on the internet?

thanks.

0 votes
Luis Sanchez July 31, 2019

Following this too, We need it, if some steps change we need to be able to this change to all, and create share steps like MTM so create a step like login and inside of this, you will find all steps to do a login.

0 votes
cryan1 July 24, 2019

Following this too. We need to migrate shared steps from MTM to Zephyr. This functionality is essential for us.

0 votes
B. L. July 3, 2019

Any update on this?

0 votes
Sheri August 17, 2018

Absolutely needed in the process we build tests for.  Being able to string tests in an order so if a test is changed, that is changed for executing all strings.  Same for test steps if could link to another test that remains constant other than changing something like URL.

0 votes
kumar aarjab August 30, 2017

Following. We need this too as this would prevent cumbersome job of cloning test case and modifying only relevant steps.

Suggest an answer