Does Service Desk require the resolution field?

Eric White November 11, 2014

It seems that for the "My Requests" section of the customer portal to work correctly, I need to use resolutions.

Is this true?  I really don't want that field, which is otherwise necessary to my workflow.

1 answer

0 votes
ɹǝʞɐq pɐɹq
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2014

In JIRA the resolution field represents the issues / tickets that are considered done.

This maybe related to workflow status or it might not but in 95% of cases there is a correlation between an issue being in a workflow state and it having a resolution field value set.

Various parts of JIRA and the JIRA Service Desk treat the presence or absence of a resolution field value as a binary state.

For example if a customers ticket has a resolution field value et then it is considered done.

On the JIRA dashboard, report gadgets show "created versus resolved" issue by contrasting the issues that do and don't have a resolution set.

Now you might rightly ask that if an issue has a status of "Resolved" then isn't that done?  Yes but its possible for the issue to go into new states of "done" and yet keep the resolution field value.  For example you could have a workflow that moves Resolved status into Closed status issues or into "Needs Retrospective" status and so on.

So here we have 3 states of "done" but in each case the Resolution field is set and hence the system can consider them done for some purposes.

Eric White November 11, 2014

I am afraid you did not read my question closely enough. Please try again.

Suggest an answer