Does OAuth gives better performance than basic auth in Jira or Confluence?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2014

I would like to know why someone would prefer to use OAuth instead of Basic Auth for connecting to JIRA and Confluence?

We all assume that the server is using HTTPS, so that's not about security.

I am interested especially about scalability on big instances that are using Crowd (with LDAP) and lots of users, over 10.000.

1 answer

1 vote
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2014

Hi Sorin,

I know that Oauth is better in terms of security than Trusted application and Basic auth, however in terms of performance I'm not so sure.

Check this article

Personally I've never noticed big differences between both. In fact there might be some differences in giant instances with hundred of thousand users and lots of spaces and contents might impose some seconds of difference. I couldn't find any doc for information though.

I'll leave this question open so maybe others might know any performance related information to share.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2014

Thank Rodrigo, I am trying to debug some slowness with Confluence (maybe JIRA too), which seems to be related to authentication. With the help of NewRelic I discovered the /rest/auth calls do take ~4000ms to run, and in some cases even 7000ms, which is far more than what I was hoping for (<0.5s).

Suggest an answer