Does Jira allow you to have two originial estimate fields in one screen?

Aileen Grant July 13, 2014

I have two original estimate fields on one screen and only one is showing when I create issue. All fields are ticked to be visible however its not showing. I'm wondering if Jira allows two original estimate fields?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2014

I'm not sure how you could add two of these fields, Jira doesn't allow more than one instance of a field.

One is a custom field and the other is the standard one

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2014

Ah, ok. I'd advise against using the same name for them.

First, which one is working? For the one that isn't, you'll need to check the screen, field configuration and if it's the custom field missing, then the context of the field as well.

They have different names. The first one we added was the standard field. The second field is the custom one of the same type which is on the screen, not hidden in the field configuration and the field is set up for the project and issue type I'm trying to create but its not showing when I try to create it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2014

That's not right. The custom field is not of the same type as "original estimate" because there isn't a type for it.

As it's the custom field though, you could try the "where's my field" helper at the top right. That should tell you where it's missing, from context, config and/or screen.

I can assure you there is a custom field called original estimate -

http://i60.tinypic.com/minucx.jpg

The where's my field helper says it should be visible on the screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2014

Thats a) from a plugin and b) for searching only, it won't appear on screens (well, ok, it sort of does - it's the original estimate and you can now edit it inline)

ok thanks a lot for getting back to me.

Robert Wojtowicz April 7, 2016

Too bad, needed another field like this to keep track of some other hours.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2016

I'd like to see another, slightly different, field type for tracking other lengths of time  (I'd like it to be distinct from "estimate", as that's important and should be consistent, but something a bit more friendly than "use a number field to write a number of hours")

Robert Wojtowicz April 7, 2016

Nic, I agree, something that behaves like a time logging field in general which accepts days/h/weeks/months etc. and can be somehow added to.    But this was my last resort before using a silly text edit box basically... (or scripting , lots of scripting)

Suggest an answer