Does JIRA support ssl using SHA-2 certificates?

Melissa Engman October 23, 2014

Effective April 2014, Symantec announced that it will stop issuance of SHA-1 SSL Certificates on January 1, 2016. So we must replace those with new SHA-2 certificates before the 2016 deadline. My company is asking for us to verify if/when SHA-2 is supported in our applications.

1 answer

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2014

Support of certificates should be at the Tomcat or Apache level. I would assume the answer is yes.

Jason Orlando February 12, 2016

Yes but for outgoing connections, JIRA (and java underneath) need to recognize the certificate of the remote side.  IF that cert has been updated to SHA2, and assuming it is a private PKI, what is required for JIRA (or java) to trust the remote SHA2 cert?

Though my cacerts file contains the root certificate and the other elements of the chain, the remote SHA2 cert is failing when using SSLPoke.

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2016

IF that cert has been updated to SHA2, and assuming it is a private PKI, what is required for JIRA (or java) to trust the remote SHA2 cert?

Though my cacerts file contains the root certificate and the other elements of the chain, the remote SHA2 cert is failing when using SSLPoke.

Did you re-add the new SHA2 certificate into the JVM? And it really depends on the error message too.

Suggest an answer