Does JIRA or Confluence Write to the SQL Database or Server Log on the SQL Server

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2014

We are having some performance issues and receiving several messages concerning the log on our SQL server getting hit pretty hard. I am not sure if this is what is causing some connections failure with JIRA and the DB but I currently have a support ticket open for that with Atlassian. My question is does JIRA do any writing to any logs on the SQL server that hosts the DB? If so which logs and can I turn this off at the JIRA level or the DB level? Thank you!

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2014

No, they do not.  They have a standard jdbc connection and just ask to do standard read/write/update type stuff.

If your logging is going a bit insane, then you've got logging set too high on the database server, or Jira/Confluence are performing actions that you've set up the server to log and doing too many of them!

You'll need to analyse what is going into the log and causing the problem.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2014

Thanks for the information Nic! We will look into what we have the logging set as on the db server. Sounds like it is all DB server based and not on the JIRA server/application from what you are saying here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2014

Correct. The logging on the db server is the starting point. By default, the only time Jira or Conflience will fill those logs is if they are heavily loaded or broken to the point where they're causing database issues. In both cases, you need to analyse what's in the log to get a handle on the problem.

Suggest an answer