Does JIRA have the concept of an 'Everyone' or 'Authenticated Users' group?

Jeff Vail October 17, 2017

We sync with Active Directory for our users and groups. Our organization does not have a group that contains everyone. I need to grant access to our Insight schema for everyone, and access is granted via groups. Our AD team is hesitant to add everyone (~12,000 people) to a group insisting they use the special 'Authenticated Users' group in such cases and I should, too, but it is not a real group.

Has anyone ever run in to this, or do you just create groups when you need groups? :)

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2017

It relies on it.  For each Jira application, you have to name at least one group that says "can log in".

I'm not sure what you mean by "it is not a real group" though.

I tend to avoid groups, access by role (inside Jira) is a far better way to manage users.

Jeff Vail October 17, 2017

I got that from this: http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/understanding-authenticated-users-group, and I can't seem to pull that 'group' in to Jira.  It is used often in the Windows environment, and I think it is relegated to that.

In this case, we are applying permissions to the Riada Insight Jira app, and it requires groups as it is Jira-global and not tied to a project.  I agree, generally in Jira, we avoid groups, too.

I'll press the issue and get them to make the group.  That's one main reason AD is there for, after all!  :)

Thanks!

Suggest an answer