Does JIRA Core need to be upgraded in order to upgrade JIRA Software?

Shawn Gardner March 7, 2016

On our Versions & licenses page, it shows JIRA Software at 7.0.10 with no upgrade option to 7.1.1, but below it there is an option for "JIRA Core 7.1.1 is now available" with a button to download an installer. We only have a license for Software. I downloaded the Core installer to our server and ran it, but I am not sure if this will cause problems with the JIRA Software installation. During installation should I select "Upgrade an existing JIRA installation" even though I only have a license for JIRA Software, not Core?

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
zack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

See #3 here: Upgrade Task List

Don't worry, access to JIRA Core is already included for all users have access to JIRA Software.

You should be able to update Core no problem.

Shawn Gardner March 9, 2016

I manually downloaded the installer for JIRA Software 7.1.1 and selected "Upgrade an existing JIRA installation". The Versions & licenses page is what confused me since there was a button to download JIRA Core 7.1.1, but not JIRA Software. Should have been the other way around. Thanks @Zack Seibert

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2016

So when you only downloaded JIRA Software 7.1.1, did it update Core too? I assume not, but perhaps?  Do you still see Core as being a much older version?

Shawn Gardner May 12, 2016

@Geoff Wilson: Core was upgraded too. It is at 7.1.1.

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2016

Thanks!  So I guess that's what I need to do too of go to the Marketplace manually, Download the newest JIRA Software, and then upgrade that and it'll update both for me. 

Suggest an answer