Does JIRA 4.1.1 query search support extraction of time spent from "Transitions" field in a issue

nagarjun k January 20, 2013

Hello JIRA Team,

I have been a dedicated user of JIRA 4.1.1 from the past 2+ years, and had a query which needed your help.

Currently in my JIRA setup, under the list of activities, i have the following tabs

a. All (complete set)

b. Comments

c. Work Log (to track time)

d. History (complete history of transactions between owners of the case)

e. Activity

f. Transitions (a display field where the time is recorded for each transition of the case: say from open to i progress, etc)

Now my requirement is to use "front-end" query option to extract the time taken for the case to move from "open" to "in progress" state.

I did dig around a bit of documentation on JQL queries, but couldnt find the required answer.

Do you know if such option exists? Would you be kind enough to share that knowledge with me?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2013

Transitions tab comes from the JIRA suite utilities plugin.

There is not direct way, while you have the following choices

1. Use script runner and add a calculated field which can show the difference of time between days (some code which you can refer to write the field)
  2. If it is for a trend analysis of how issues are being closed, you can use the Average Time in Status gadget.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.ext.charting

nagarjun k January 20, 2013

Hello Renjith,

Thank you for the answer.

for sure, i am not looking for Gadget plugin, for i need this report (time taken to move between different states) in excel format. I cant quite rely on the jira database (which is a more suitable place to extract such data), as i dont have access to it.

Do you know, if creating custom fields (with date type) on the specific case, can help capture the transition time?

Thank you.

nk

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2013

Add a standard date time customf field and get it updated in the post function during the transition if you are just looking for the date in which it has happened. If you are looking at finding the difference in time between two statuses, then use scripted field.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

Suggest an answer