Does Creating an Advanced Roadmap in Jira affect the board at all?

Ryan Lough June 23, 2021

I'm looking to create a Gantt view of our project's storyboard and before I create a Advanced roadmap, I just want to confirm that syncing the board will not affect the actual board in anyway. Can someone confirm?

We are using Jira software, linked with Confluence.

1 answer

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

Hi @Ryan Lough ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

During the creation of roadmap there shouldn't be any changes to the existing issues. You can later do some changes to issues directly from the Advanced roadmaps, but if you want to just look at the data without modifying them, it is possible. 

Ryan Lough June 23, 2021

@Hana Kučerová  thanks! If I just want to view the data without modifying them, how would I do that?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

Hi @Ryan Lough ,

I've been working with cloud version with for last few months. If you are on server / DC, functionality is probably very similar, but I haven't see it for a while.

How I understand the whole product:

First of all you do some sort of configuration:

• hierarchy - whether "Epic - Task - Sub-task" is enough or you need another level like "Initiative"
  • dependencies - how do you know which issue should be processed before another one - usually using "blocks" link type

Then you create the plan, where you define, which issues you want to see in the roadmap (whole project, board, filter).

In the plan's configuration you can do additional settings like which fields for start and end date to use when visualizing work on the roadmap.

If you just look at the data in the roadmap, there will be no modifications to the issues. But if you for example start to move the issues in the roadmap or edit them, there will be changes to review and if you confirm these changes your issues will be modified based on your changes.

If you have never tried to work with roadmaps, I strongly recommend you to create sample project and create the plan using this project to get familiar with this whole functionality.

Also I found documentation very useful.

Suggest an answer