Does 'Create Shared Objects' give you permission to create filters and dashboards?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2017

Does 'Create Shared Objects' give you permission to create filters and dashboards?  The description of this global permission says that this permission is to be able to share them(not to create them).

Create Shared Objects

Ability to share dashboards and filters with other users, groups and roles.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2017

Hi Carlos,

Are you running into an issue creating Dashboards?

I took a look at my Global permissions and it was blank for Create Shared Objects.  Moreover, when I added a specific group to Create Shared Objects and logged in with a user that wasn't in that group I was still able to create a dashboard, however, I do not have the option to Share a dashboard as the permission states.  In addition, I was unable to create a Scrum board:

Create Shared Objects

Permission to share a filter or dashboard globally or with groups of users. Also used to control who can create an agile board.

Anyone can create dashboards and filters but they will not be able to share them without this permission:

You need the Create Shared Object global permission to configure sharing for a filter. Contact your JIRA administrator to obtain this permission.

Cheers,

Branden

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2017

Thanks for the clarification, Branden. I was confused because the name of the permission says "Create", but I've also observed the behavior that you described (that anyone can create dashboards and filters).  I understand now.  Thanks!

DSell November 3, 2022

@somethingblue ,  Is there a way to limit the number of boards that show up in a project? We ran into a problem where projects were ending up with 50 boards in the drop-down causing confusion. Users were creating a board outside of a project by using the dropdown in the top bar and including a dozen projects in the filter. Now a new board would show up in each of those dozen projects. Permissions were changed not to include shared object permission, but this has caused a problem with not being able to share boards that were needed.

Suggest an answer