Do you need two licenses for two instances of JIRA Data Center?

Hank Han January 5, 2018

I'm trying to upgrade our single JIRA instance to a cluster with basic HA. We've purchased Data Center license already, but for my small trial run on AWS, I'm using evaluation licenses.

I have two instances of JIRA running, load balanced by NGINX. When trying to hit each instance for the first time, each instance asks for a license. It seems like I can't use the same Data Center license for both instances.

What am I missing here?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Hank, 

When performing a Data Center install, you should get the first node working by itself. Once you've got that going, you should be able to add the second without issue. Atlassian has some great resources on how to accomplish this. Be sure that your JIRA installations are the same version, and that each of them has access to the shared home. In the local home directory make sure you've got a cluster.properties file. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/installing-jira-data-center-861253059.html

Suggest an answer