Do we need the HipChat Core Plugin?

Marco Schmelzer March 25, 2015

In July 2014 we have installed JIRA Server 6.0.8 and upgraded to JIRA Server 6.2.7.

It ships with Add-Ons called HipChat Core Plugin and HipChat for JIRA.

Screenshot_JIRA_Add-On_HipChat-Core-plugin.jpg

Now, we want to upgrade our JIRA test evironment to Version 6.4.

The JIRA update check says that the compatibility from HipChat Core Plugin with JIRA 6.4 is unknown. I cannot find information about this plugin.

Screenshot_JIRA_update_check_HipChat-Core-plugin_unknown.jpg

Can we ignore the HipChat Core Plugin or can we uninstall the plugin?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2015

Hi Marco,

Can we ignore the HipChat Core Plugin

Yes, you can safely upgrade - we have a newer version of plugin bundled with 6.4 which will take the precedent. Whether you do use hipchat integration or not upgrading to JIRA 6.4 will be safe.

It is a little confusing that the name of the plugin in marketplace is "HipChat for JIRA" which is different from the installed "HipChat Core Plugin" . This is due to how the provide the HipChat integration functionality for JIRA - it is actually several plugins that work together and the bundle in marketplace contains all the necessary plugins and goes under the "HipChat for JIRA" name.

Hi Anatoli, thanks for your reply. I want to make it clear that we have installed both addons, "HipChat Core Plugin" AND "HipChat for JIRA". Both came with the full installation of JIRA 6.0.8. If I look on the filesystem in ../jira-home/plugins/installed-plugins there are both jars. hipchat-core-plugin-0.8.3.jar hipchat-for-jira-plugin-1.2.11.jar Both with the same date - the installation date. We have never updated them, because we have never used them. There is no support, no marketplace entry or other information about the core plugin. But if you say, we can safely upgrade, then I feel safe to ignore the addon. Thanks, Marco

Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2015

Yep, safe to ignore!

0 votes
Marco Schmelzer April 1, 2015

I want to say, that the HipChat Core Plugin is automatically removed from the JIRA Installer. Greets.

0 votes
Dirk Pörschke March 25, 2015

Hi, 

if you don't use HipChat you can uninstall it I suppose. If you want to use it in the future you can reinstall it.

I think your HipChat Version 0.8.3 is obsolete - we use JIRA in version 6.3.13 and the plugin version is 6.18.1. Maybe you should reinstall it.

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi Dirk, thanks for your reply. The Add-On with the version number 6.18.1 is "HipChat for JIRA". But we have a second Add-On named "HipChat Core Plugin" with the version 0.8.3. I can't find any information about the second Add-On on the Marketplace and as you can see in my first screenshot there are no more links to the Marketplace or Documentation. We don't use HipChat and I think, we can uninstall it. Thanks, Marco

Suggest an answer