Do we have any bulk user add utility avaiable in Jira

Pushpkant December 19, 2012

I want t add around 2000 users in Jira. Do we have any utility which helps me in adding those users automatically.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radek Kantor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

You can write/generate and run Jelly script in JIRA.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Jelly+Tags#JellyTags-jira:CreateUser

Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

Also you may like to have a look at JCLI plugin to add the users with groups through CSV using the Jira Command Line Interface. You can refer the JCLI Examples

Hi Naren,

Do we have any working example from where I can fetch the records and create the users from Jira CLI?

Hi Radek,

Thanks for the Jelly idea... Do you have any idea how can I fetch the details from xls or csv and paa it to the Jelly?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

JIRA Command Line Interface has various documentation and examples. For your specific case, the base action is addUser or similar. Depending on where you have the list now, you can use either

1. SQL - runFromSql
  2. CSV - runFromCsv (preferred) or addUserWithFile
  3. flat file - run
  4. script the action
Radek Kantor
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

The easest way is prepare data directly in excel and save it as text file.

- add columns with proper content script notation between your data columns, like: <jira:CreateUser username=" + data_col1 + "password=" + data_col2 + ...

- every row will be one user script insert

- copy/paste into the others rows

- merge columns

- add script header/footer (<JiraJelly xmlns:jira="jelly:com.atlassian.jira.jelly.JiraTagLib"></JiraJelly>)

- save as txt

To execute it automaticaly you must find solution (write some xls transformation, script, macro, ....)

Suggest an answer