Do we dynamically change the customfield values in create and edit screens based on user?

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2013

Hi,

I have a requirement that a customfield show only some options to a paticular user.

Suppose my customfield is of type "Multi Checkboxes" and its name is TEMP

it has options as

External

Internal

Other

Now, I should able to show only "External" and "Other" under TEMP for user1 in both Create and Edit screens.

only Internal to user2 in both Create and Edit screens.

Thanks,

Bharadwaj Jannu

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2013

Nope, can't do it natively, you need some code, javascript etc.

There's a more advanced conversation from earlier today that you might want to look at - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/199057/is-it-possible-to-show-few-issue-types-and-category-and-subcategory-to-particular-group-in-jira-5-0-2

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2013

Oh, yes, absolutely.

If you create your own custom field type, you can pretty much do what you want with it. This also has the advantage that it does the security work before data goes to the browser, so there's no leaking of potentially sensitive data, probably no need for any javascript, and no way to bypass it.

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2013

Thanks for quick reply Nic,

Is it possible to extend the exising custom field type and place restrictions inside the code?

Thanks,

Bharadwaj Jannu

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

Please suggest help docs related to the requirement.

Thanks in advance,

Bharadwaj Jannu

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2013
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2013

Thanks Nic for the helper documents.

I got the solution by simply changing the edit-multicheckboxes.vm

Suggest an answer