Do project specific email addresses within JIRA need to be accounts or aliases?

Marion Dunn January 2, 2013

When setting up the email configuration for JIRA, I am using an email account for the default account, but cannot find any documentation as to whether project specific emails need to be accounts also, or whether they are aliases that have "send as" permissions for the default account. We are using JIRA full download and externally hosted Exchange for email.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

They can be aliases. We have lot of jira projects where in the default component assignee is the alias and that way a pool of developers assigned to that component can pick issues up and action.

Rahul

Marion Dunn January 2, 2013

Thanks Rahul. Does the default account have to have "send as" permissions for this to work? Or does that come down to your mail server setup, rather than something specific in JIRA?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

No, we have configured it at mail server level not jira level.

Rahul

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

Usually the point of having project specific emalis is to enable load distribution for incoming mails to JIRA and also to enable creation of issues in the right projects. I didnt quite get what you meant by 'email aliasing'? All project specific accounts are created as Incoming mailboxes to enable automatic comment creation.

Marion Dunn January 3, 2013

Thanks Renjith. By aliases, I mean that the email address does not have it's own account, rather that it's an address that gets sent to multiple users.

Suggest an answer