Do customers require a login to use JIRA Service Desk?

Kris van der Starren October 2, 2013

Is there any way to configure JIRA Service Desk to allow customers to create new requests without being logged into JIRA? We're using the OnDemand version of JIRA if that makes any difference.

9 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2013

Hi Kris,

Like @Mauro already said, you can do it by creating an email handler. I'm currently testing this together with a customer. It gives you the advantages of queues, SLA's, reports and even more.

A user can be created based on the email adres from the reporter, this user will not count towards your existing user limit in Jira OnDemand (he will also not be able to login). But you will be able to communicate with your user through email notification based on comments.

The main disadvantage is that a user can not see his or her issues directly in Jira. But you can circumvent this by setting the Browse Project Permission to Anyone (be aware : on Jira On Demand this literally meand everybody on the internet).

For us it seems to work.

Best regards,

Peter

rufinus January 28, 2014

A user can be created based on the email adres from the reporter, this user will not count towards your existing user limit in Jira OnDemand (he will also not be able to login).

Does this apply to the Download version to?

But you will be able to communicate with your user through email notification based on comments.

This is exactly what i would need. Like an OTRS System.

TIA

Andrea C February 15, 2018

How do you create a user based on the email? Is it possible to keep it separate from the main user directory? I use Crowd for registered users, so in theory for the other users I could use the internal directory.

Any guidance on how to achieve this?

Thanks

6 votes
RobertW October 17, 2013

@Mauro: we would like to offer external Requests as well, without Login/Users. Is there a Feature Request for that already somewhere?

2 votes
Malte Hübner November 13, 2013

A user can be created based on the email adres from the reporter, this user will not count towards your existing user limit in Jira OnDemand

How can I archive this? Is this an automatism or do I have to configure something?

It would also be nice if someone could post a best practice on how to configure the email handler.

Thanks!

1 vote
Anchal Choubey August 26, 2018

Hi

How can i make internal employees to raise tickets on service desk portal without being asked for password ?

1 vote
Ali November 3, 2015

yes, I got very upset when I see this as well.

Luckily, we use 5 more atlassian products in my company, so, one username and password gets you any of them (via JIRA user server).

I still want to be able to use it without login screen tho.

1 vote
Brock Renninger February 11, 2015

To @Mauro Ezequiel Fernandez Badii,

I understand that this is meant to be an internal tool.  The issue we are running in to is people forget their passwords.  They are still internal users, but have no way of accessing the service desk to have us reset it.

How do I go about getting around this, besides the make a phone call or have a "buddy" submit my ticket routes?

1 vote
Gabriele Torma November 19, 2014

Hi together, we just implemented JIRA and find it great - now we would like to use the Service Desk for external customers (without an JIRA-login) - are there any news, how that would work? Thanks in advance!

1 vote
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2013

Hi Kris,

JIRA Service Desk was designed with a focus on internal service desks. To create issues using the Jira Service Desk interface you'll need to be logged in but you can configure an Email Handler to create issues received by email to the Service Desk project and still make use of Service Desk benefits like queue handling, SLAs and reports.

Hope it helps :)

Regards,
Mauro

Aaron Bartell June 10, 2014

JIRA Service Desk was designed with a focus on internal service desks.

Is this still true? If so, it is very unfortunate because I've just spent the better part of 3 days switching from WorkEtc.comto Atlassian and am now finding silly stuff like this. When I saw "Customer Portal" I assumed Atlassian literally meant "Customer" and not "Internal Employee". Very misleading.

0 votes
KS November 6, 2013

Peter/All,

Your testing and discussion sounds very promising as my group of 10 employees are really the only ones who would ever need to actively view JIRA itself. Our dealers and customers - albeit in the hundreds - only need the ability to generate a request/ticket from an email or form/template by imbedded hyper-link. They don't need to actually see the portal, however updates and communications by email would be nice. Would you say our situation sounds possible utilizing JIRA Service Desk with an email handler? Thanks!

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Hi Kregg,

Yes that should be possible if you combine the service desk and email handlers.

Best regards,

Peter

KS November 6, 2013

Thanks Peter. When you say "email handlers" are we talking about JEMH?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Hi Kregg,

Even the standard Jira mail handlers are good enough.

Best regards,

Peter

John Danner January 17, 2014

peter, we have been trying to switch over from zendesk to atlassian service desk. this basic issue kregg brings up seems to be incredibly difficult. maybe it's just that this was not built to handle inbound and outbound customer email communication?

Suggest an answer