Do automations override even when disabled

mmcneil February 17, 2021

I have an automation for placing the story In-progress when a subtasks is moved to in-progress. This has been extremely useful but has then broken when we tried to move it to a global setting for the entire organization.
It's since been disabled but continues to no longer work in my project. It seems to have an override somewhere as my logic seems good. 
What can I do?

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 5.15.17 PM.png

2 answers

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2021

Hi @mmcneil,

Welcome to the Atlassian community. 

This has been extremely useful but has then broken when we tried to move it to a global setting for the entire organization.
It's since been disabled but continues to no longer work in my project.

From what I can understand here, the rule was promoted to global projects and since it was broken, the rule was disabled.

1. Can I know when the rule was promoted to the global project, the existing rule was edited or a new rule was created?
  2. If you look at the list of the rules, do you see duplicate rules - 1 for the global projects and 1 more for your project?
  3. What is the scope of the existing rule that you are using for your project? You can find this in the"Rule details" section.

Thanks,
Moga

Hello Moga,

You are correct your analysis. The rule was promoted to global projects, did not for global projects, was removed from global project and back to the single original project, and is still broken on the original project

1. Can I know when the rule was promoted to the global project, the existing rule was edited or a new rule was created?
    The existing rule was edited to add additional projects
  2. If you look at the list of the rules, do you see duplicate rules - 1 for the global projects and 1 more for your project?
    I only see one rule now and none for global projects
  3. What is the scope of the existing rule that you are using for your project? You can find this in the"Rule details" section.
    The scope is my original project
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

i'm not quite following as to what transpired however, lets investigate the automation in place.

So if I understand you have the above automation enabled for a specific project correct? But the automation is failing, correct? What do the logs tell you? Can you share an image of the logs? I suspect they will convey where the rule is exiting.

You might consider adding a "Log action" to your automation to record info about the execution to help debug. However, this appears to be a pretty straightforward rule. I do wonder why you don't have a condition after trigger to check if issuetype is sub-task. The reason being is that I could see this triggering for a Store-Epic as well. 

Hello Jack! Thank you for your tip of the log action. I've added the logs now and tried to move my subtask but there are no logs or action which leads me to believe the trigger isn't firing as expected. 

From my reading, "Parent" would be limited to make the main story and not the epic but that could be an improvement in my logic

The action is limited to a single project. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 7.41.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-17 at 7.42.00 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

So I see a lot of config change entries but nothing after. I need to see a trigger and then expand the log.the last trigger at 3:53:47 shows no actions performed. Can you cause the rule to trigger and expand the log?

That's the issue, the rule no longer triggers. Here's a view of the last time it's triggered succesfully. 

I've created a new story, add a subtask, and then moved the subtask in-progress but nothing in the audit log. 
 Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 9.46.07 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

If you are sure that the event is actually occurring such that the rule should trigger then it might be easier just to replicate the rule. Try copying the rule and applying to the one project in question and see if that gets you working again.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events