Do agile workflows need to be updated on new versions?

Robert M_ Münch April 24, 2014

We have serveral projects, and I can see the workflows below. It looks like the Agile version used at the time when the project was created is fix. Since OnDemand get's updated from time to time, the following questions come up:

1. Do I need to update the workflow to the newest version?
  2. If yes, how to do it?
  3. If yes, how to know that I need to do it?
  4. How to know what changed?

I would like to have a gloabl standard workflow that's shared by all projects. So, change this one, changes everything. How can I do this? At the moment it looks like every project gets its own instance of the workflow.

Agile Simplified Workflow Scheme for Project FM
Generated by JIRA Agile version 6.3.6.1. This workflow scheme is managed internally by JIRA Agile. Do not manually modify this workflow scheme.
Agile Simplified Workflow Scheme for Project IN
Generated by JIRA Agile version 6.3.7. This workflow scheme is managed internally by JIRA Agile. Do not manually modify this workflow scheme.
Agile Simplified Workflow Scheme for Project NLPP
Generated by JIRA Agile version 6.3.5.3. This workflow scheme is managed internally by JIRA Agile. Do not manually modify this workflow scheme.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2014

Well, you don't need to update anything if you're happy to leave them alone.

However, what's happening here is your projects are being created with a template that enables the "simplified workflow"

Each project that has this HAS to have a separate workflow - this is because the workflow is defined by the users (anyone with project admin) as they build their boards.

As a system admin, you can pull this from them and force them to use the same workflow - define a workflow, add it to a scheme, then apply that scheme to each project you want to force it on to. Their boards will stop defining the workflow when you do that (only admins can re-simplify them), and they'll need to map their boards on to your flow.

You don't need to use just one workflow or workflow scheme - you can still do things like "development project style 1, bugs handle one way, features another", "development project style 2 - all on one workflow", "operations project style" and so-on.

Suggest an answer