Do Service Desk users always have to create an account or log in?

Benjamin Dyer February 5, 2015

Sorry, that question is a bit of a mouthful!

However I'm really keen to allow our users directly into the ticket creation flow without having to sign in or create an account first. The log in / create account screen is a barrier to users, they give up before they ask a question. So is it possible to ask for an account creation after a ticket is raised?

4 answers

1 vote
Benjamin Dyer February 5, 2015

Thanks for the replies @Dave Truman, @Jobin Kuruvilla.

My biggest problem with Service Desk is actually the high barrier to entry for customers. These are customers who are probably irritated already so putting a register login flow between them and a resolution isn't a great idea. I love JIRA and I am committed to using it but when you look at offerings from many of the other dedicated service desk companies they understand the user flow much better.

Forced account creation is a big stop sign, ecommerce companies learnt this years ago. Its much better to do it at the end of the process.

I might look into an issue collector though.

Ben

0 votes
vladfr September 1, 2015

Hi, same issue here, frustrated customers that need support should not hit a brick wall in the form of a Register flow, when they've probably just completed one a few days ago to buy your product.

Any idea if creating a SD user is possible through the current JIRA API?

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2015

If you don't expect the customers to track the questions, you might want them to use an issue collector instead of Service Desk. With service desk, you expect that the customer wants the status of the issue and so they need to have an account for that.

With issue collector, they can just ask the question and they will come to JIRA automatically. But then, it loses all the cool features of Service Desk, like SLAs.

0 votes
Dave Truman February 5, 2015

I'm working through a similar requirement myself. The bottom line is that Service Desk only creates new tickets for users it knows, that is, have an account. Otherwise it just throws out the incoming email.

My thought is that if I can create accounts for my users in bulk via the JIRA API, they can then email in to open a new ticket and then work with Service Desk entirely by email, never having to log in or use the portal (though those that really want to still can). I haven't done this yet but it looks possible in theory.

Suggest an answer