Do JIRA Portfolio Administrators also need to be JIRA System Administrators?

Amanda Kirchem April 21, 2017

We would like to have a team of project managers act as administrators for JIRA Portfolio but do not want to give them sys admin access. 

We have added the permissions group for the team as Portfilo Admins via the Portfolio Permissions page, but they still not have access to administrative functions. 

Are JIRA permissions superceding Portfolio permissions here?

2 answers

0 votes
Kelley Cooper January 20, 2018

Don't know if you have found an answer to your question, Amanda...would be interested if you have.

I confirmed via test a user can NOT reach the Portfolio > Administration page UNLESS they are a JIRA admin.  The Portfolio documentation, up to the latest released (2.11) implies this should work:

Ability to perform all administrative functions in Portfolio for Jira. By default, Jira application administrators are automatically made administrators in Portfolio for Jira.

It somewhat stands to reason this would be the case as the Portfolio admin functions are accessed via the Add-on Management area of the administration area - it would just be nice if the documentation was clear on the subject.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2017

Interesting question. I would need an answer on this as well

Mark Johnson January 25, 2018

Yes, This creates a problem for me, too.

Suggest an answer