Do Issue Type /Workflow Scheme cause performance Issues in JIRA server?

Fabienne Jullier December 8, 2017

I've found out that permission schemes with user groups can cause some performance issues in JIRA Server. Do Issue Type Schemes and Workflow Schemes also cause performance issues? I couldn't find something about that in the documentation. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2017

The main performance drag is the permission schemes.  Workflow and issue types have a negligible effect compared with permissions.

(You'll find the use of roles to be better than groups, and if you can use the "anyone" permission for any browse functions, that's the main way to speed them up)

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

I agree in general with Nic that most performance issues in Jira are due to lots of permission checks.  However there are several other areas in Jira that can cause performance degradation, such as a large number of issues, lots of global custom fields, and yes even having lots of different workflows can impact performance.  Although the number of workflows impacts this to a lesser degree generally than say the number of custom fields or the number of issues a Jira instance has in total.

I would recommend checking out the Jira Sizing Guide as a means to make sure that your Jira instance has the resources/hardware to perform well given the size of your Jira environment.

Suggest an answer