Do I need to upgrade my other Atlassian apps when upgrading Jira from 4.2 to 6.3?

Siggy Tsadok January 24, 2015

I am researching the upgrade process from JIRA 4.2.4 to 6.3

Our team uses FishEye/Crucible (2.5.1), Crowd, and Confluence and I can't seem to find a version compatibility chart on the Atlassian site.

I'd like to find out what mandatory upgrades I will need to do and whether any of those are bundled with the JIRA license or whether they are a separate purchase.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deividi Luvison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2015

Hey Siggy,

Is not necessary/mandatory to upgrade your other atlassian products just because you are upgrading JIRA, however here some reasons you would also think on upgrading the rest of the suit as well.

Let's say after you upgrade JIRA you start to face performance problems on Confluence side regarding your application links or problems on the communication between JIRA and Crowd,  it will be hard to assist and you if your other app reached it's EOL sad.

We would request you to upgrade the other applications to a supported version so we can further troubleshoot what is going on, if you have any problems.

My advice is to try upgrading on a staging environment and check how the other apps behave, if they do fine, backup everything and upgrade JIRA. If you face problems with other apps besides JIRA then upgrade the problematic app to a supported version, as per below page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Support/Atlassian+Support+End+of+Life+Policy

Hope it helps.
Thanks and Regards,
David| The Engineer that like Windows for realsies.
0 votes
Siggy Tsadok January 29, 2015

Thank you Deividi for the clarification and the explanation of the AppLinks Matrix. 

Kind regards,

Siggy

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2015

Probably yes. Google Atlassian comparability matrix

Deividi Luvison
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2015

Nope, the compatibility matrix was renamed to version matrix because that page only tells you the version of app links plugin built in in each version of the product: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/APPLINKS/Application+Links+Version+Matrix The previous title of the page make a lot of ppl to assume (including myself) that the version in there was a pre requisite, after clearing that out we changed the title of the page and add the following addendum: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You can link between products that bundle different versions of the AppLinks plugin (except as indicated below). ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggest an answer