Do I need to keep the .jar files of installed add-ons?

Esther Strom October 17, 2017

I inherited a Jira server that's running low on disk space. I'm rooting around in the file system, looking for things I can delete to free up some space until our infrastructure department can build out a new server.

In var/atlassian/application-data/jira/plugins, there's a folder called installed-plugins, which I'm assuming contains the files that run the add-ons we've actually installed. But there are also a bunch of .jar files sitting in the plugins directory outside the installed-plugins folder. Do I need to keep those?

And by extension, are there any other locations I can clear out? 

1 answer

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2017

Hello Esther,

You should keep these plugin jars, you will likely have problems restarting if you removed them.

What you may want to remove if you haven't already are xml exports/imports. and log files.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2017

Yes, don't remove anything in plugins

Esther Strom October 18, 2017

Thanks, @josh. We do clean out our logs on a regular basis; for PCI compliance we need to keep a month's worth. I'll look and see if we have any xml imports or exports saved.

Suggest an answer