Do I need to backup/restore before/after a workflow/screen/field change?

Jirong Hu February 25, 2015

I am a JIRA administrator needs to modify the Request and Defect workflow, plus some fields on the screen. There are already tons of projects and issues using these two types and screens. My question is:

1. Do I need a proper backup before making the changes?
  2. How shall I do the backup.

We are using SQL database, and JIRA is installed on Linux.

Thanks

Jirong

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2015

Probably not.  But if you are nervous or inexperienced, then it's a good idea.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Backing+Up+Data

However, depending on your changes, you can usually undo changes reasonably easily.  If you're adding a field, for example, then if you get it wrong, just delete it.  Take copies of your screens and workflows before you start changing them, then you'll be able to use them as the example of how to put things back the way they were, or even put them back over the damaged ones.

Jirong Hu February 26, 2015

All right, then I won't worry about that. BTW, I've decided to use this approach for the versioning: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/12267197/how-shall-i-version-my-design-so-we-can-rollback. What do you guys think?

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2015

Like Nic said - probably not. But I would suggest trying any major changes out on a testing server.

Jirong Hu February 26, 2015

Yes, I have a test environment and I always do all the development/changes in the test environment, then make the same/final version changes in the production environment. Basically I do all the play around things in the test environment.

Suggest an answer